12 months ago I had only just recently strted riding on Wednesday evenings and was keen to give it a go.
Unfortunately I had been called out with work the night before and was only just functioning on a few hours sleep. Pulling up to the car park in Flemming park I was totally psyched out by how 'pro' every one looked. Deep sections, full carbon frames, gazebos with turbo trainers etc.. so I drove past, parked up, left my Surly in teh car and just watched the racing and caught up with some old friends from way back.. It wasnt until CityCross in March that I jumped back into racing.
Seeing as it is so close to home, my support team (Ana , Aaron and Belen) were coming to support/cheer/jeer and I was keen to not embarass myself, having made such a fuss about this racing thing. I even tried to taper and sort of peak for it ( load of bollocks as I was pretty knackered last week).
Any way it was a glorious sunny day with excellent dry conditions. Bumped into Dean and a quick wave to Chris who was about to get started.
It took a little while to sign on, but soon my number was pinned on the lovely Darkstar kit, ready to go. I took the wheels off the Focus and left the frame in the car. To be honest, I was a bit embarassed by being such a novice and wheeling up a spare bike.
Heckling Chris who was absolutely
Out on course warming up. Great course. With a cool sand bunker bit (Do you run it or ride it?). short banks, wooded rooty bit. a few awkward switchbacks, a draggy hill, and a good whippy downhill.
So the start was off at the bottom of the field somewhere, and the field looked huge. As riders were called forward to be gridded, I noticed a fair few that I had been in front of a few weeks ago, and I shuffled forward, pretty cheeky, but hey ho, but the front of the rest.
The whistle went and we were off, it wasnt so much of a sprint, but a spirited ride off. first corner and someone wedged me straight into the tape. next corner, a rider forced up the inside and elbowed me outside. Two riders made pretty idiot moves into the next corners so on the first straight I sprinted and stuck my elbows out as I held my line.One tried halfwheeling in a ridiculous move, but I held my nerve and line. He was cursing and swearing at me. The frentic start soon eased into the the familiar strung out field. As I passed the pits for the first time I was greeted by the Clan. ringing cowbells and yelling.. I was soooo chuffed. A quick wave and then back to the matter in hand...
I knew I was reasonably well up, and spent the race yo-yoing with a VC Venta guy and a South Down Velo chap. I lost time on the drags, but made a lot up through the sand pit, where I discovered that running was a bit quicker than churning. There was probably a fair few endos throughout the day.
Clan Hay camped by the Beach, and every lap was met with full volume cheering, .
Every race has an opportunity and mine came when a rider went wide, took a few riders with him on that line, but then unshipped his chain. With a crafty undercut I made up about three places in a oner...
My gears were starting to ghost shiuft which didnt help when giving it on some of the steep banks, and as my 30 minute nemesis took hold , I might have slipped back one, with Mr VC Venta finally getting the better of me. The Winner lapped me halfway through a lap and suddenly it was all over. No man on man sprinting, or spirited last ditch dig into the final lap.
I rode up the hill to meet the family pretty chuffed to have held on for 15th. overall a good race, I am growing in confidence, but my cornering is still lacking.
Went well.
Having a cheering family there was a big boost each lap.
Running through the sand trap .
Descending; once I learnt that everytime you use the brakes, you have to get back up to speed again.. my descending improved a lot.
Hold as much speed as you can. DONT BRAKE.... having stupid noisy squealy brakes helped. it was a constant reminder that you were braking, so ease off on the levers. even if it is only to stop the noise.
Good start . ( 15th for a non gridded rider cant be too bad.)
not so well.
Cornering is still iffy. I ran with tyre pressure too high. (45psi). All my races have been dry except one Newbury race in the wet, where I really struggled cornering. As the weather gets progressivly shit I am going to suffer.
Slipping gears. I had just replaced the whole drivetrain, but the indexing was a bit out.
I was worried about that rider that was shitty on the first lap. I wasnt exactly polite back, but thats racing I suppose.
Next race: Newbury, already entered..
No comments:
Post a Comment