Braking with Cantis is pretty crap at the best of times..
The original Planet X Frogs Bollox cantis were exactly that...Bollocks.. no matter how many times I read Sheldons best advice for set up, I just couldnt get on with them.
The Tektro CR720s came next, whoch were a vast improvement and I have been reasonably happy with them. Great for racing ( despite suffering badly against 29ers in teh wet grass at Newbury in the summer.
I have been toying with a pair of these:---->
but the 70 quid an end and there is a lot of negative comments about them on the interweb/ forums. mainly that there is very little clearance for when it get s really muddy.
On a quick coffee visit to Rock N Road , I was talking about disks etc with James. basically . I would have two aluminum race bikes running Cantis, but would like a steel cross bike armed with disks for comfort and single track type stuff where you actually need to stop,
<-----He suggested these: So I bought two sets of these and have started to install them on the Focus. I swappped the Pads with the CR720s as the stock ones looked absolutley rubbish.
Anyway the front is on. the wee spigot that fits in the tiny holes next to the canti boss sprung out and bent a bit, but after that they went in ok.
They run very very close to the rim, which is very worrying . I will do the back one tonight and then hopefully have a test ride before the weekend.
I will let you know how I get on.
####UPDATE#####
They may look crap, be remarkably cheap and maybe a bit nasty, but Holy shit they stop you.. With decent brake blocks I nearly went over the bars. the lever feels very squishy, but then they bite....The pads are crazy close to the rim, and my shonkey "Garage find" wheels are not exactly true. Stay tuned for more updates once I get a chance to ride off road on them.


No comments:
Post a Comment