Monday, 22 July 2013

Pit Bikes

I know I am only a fledgling racer, training for my first winter season, but do I really need a second race/pit bike.
I acquired a Focus AX frame when I bought a cheap pair of Fulcrums. and bit by bit and rather slowly I have been sourcing components and building it.


Frame and fork : £75
Wheels : 0 ( already had)
Seat post and saddle : 0 (Already had)
Chainset: £55 SRAM Avid
Bars: £20 FSA compacts
Brakes: 0 (Already had)
Stem: £10 FSA
Chain :  0 (Already had)
Shifters: £10  from a boot sale (BN 105s)
Bar tape and cables:£15
Rear Mech: £15 Tiagra off ebay
Front mech:  0 (Already had)



200 pound which is pretty good for a race capable bike: Admittedly I may have been better off putting money towards a set of tubs and new race wheels.. but the bits were there and £75 for the frame was pretty good.
I went out for a ride on it last night. Sunday evening hammer fest, down my local woods , last ride before holiday.. my impressions.
It feels smoother than the Hiver.not necessarily faster, just smoother. I felt more in control as I wasnt getting beaten up so much. Would be interesting to ride a quality steel frame (not my Surly)
Front mech didnt index properly so I had to do the whole ride on the salad plate.
44 compact bars are a lot narrower than I am used to.. definitly felt less controlled, and had a lot of arm ache ( do I need to look into another pair of Salsa Cowbells)
I found the Fizik Tundra a bit harsh initially.
I enjoyed the ride. It may become my main rig, 

No comments:

Post a Comment