Friday, 7 June 2013

Newbury Summer CX Rnd2

Newbury Summer CX.. Glorious sunny dry weather.I was a bit nervous pinning my number on.. Just looking around at the machinery, carbon frames, deep-section wheels, Tubs. I just hoped I wouldn't embarrass myself , and take such a big ego knock that would affect my training. Warm up ok. dialed in the line through the trees. and soon it was lining up for the start.

( nicked from @Scotty_Manley Twitter)
I didn't have the confidence to push forward,  so I got off to a totally shit start as I was boxed in ( need to work on that), Spent the first lap muscling my way through at least half the pack. holding the race line, short cornering, ( bit aggressive I know, but one thing that CityCross taught me was to use elbows if necessary) The starting straight was followed by two 90' turns, over a bump, a sharp left hander, a dip ( sure to be muddy next time) variable lines under a willow tree and onto a long draggy hill.  a little kick at the top followed by a very bumpy off camber

( nicked from Twitter)
straight to the downhill section. This was pretty hairy with the smooth line being obscured by low hanging branches. It was a case of close your eyes, duck your head, grit your teeth and plough straight through it, opening the ojos quickly so that  you don't run into the second ,rather awkwardly, placed tree.. then off across the rutted field with jolly hairpins before starting the second loop.
photo from Sports Alive Photography
 
I went well into the red on the first lap (new max HR), making up for the poor start , and by the second lap , a Banjo Cycles rider a Progression cycles guy and I were all together. They managed to drop me on the hill and I couldnt get back on.

I eventually got lapped by the eventual top two which wasnt too bad for a 2:30 ish min circuit. I managed to catch Banjo Cycles guy and he sat on for half a lap or so..
photo from Sports Alive Photography
.Come the last lap, I had a hard dig on the hill, in a total shot or bust, go home fucked kind of way,  which was my undoing..Banjo Boy held my wheel, gapped me which I just couldn't get back. That damn hill ( need to work on that too)
I finished in tenth, not too bad for my first proper cyclocross race. Cant wait for next Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment