Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Old friends

When I used to ride road bikes I was a semi retro grouch, but with a modern twist. My particular taste is high quality steel frame, with a carbon fork.  With my limited means I put together a lovely steel Lemond, Campag Chorus through out. Royce hubs on DT R1.1 Chorus carbon compact chainset,  Arione saddle, lots of Hope stuff incluing a RS stem.… you get the drift.
Now its not the most super amazing top drawer bike, but it was mine and I rode it ... a lot…But then as I started riding more fixed gear/ short trips, it stopped being used and it hung in the garage gathering dust for most of 2011/2012. I used my Surly on the nursery runs. ( childseat and porteur rack) or my track bike( I was training for Roller racing )
I got kinda  got swept up in the whole disks on road bikes thing and for once in my life became an early adopter and bought a spanking Genesis Croix de Fer. The Lemond was stripped down and the parts transferred to the Genesis.
It looked cool.. But try as I might I just couldn’t get on with the Genesis.. I liked the brakes ( when they were not squealing). The handling was ok., a bit lack lustre maybe. But I totally loathed the weight.  This thing weighs a tonne.
With the Hiver shod with old race wheels,  my passion for riding on the road was reignited ( as a necessity for bagging Segments and CX training).
While I have been threatening that I would strip it down I just couldn’t be bothered, but the last straw finally came after Sundays ride.. I went to lift it over a pile of junk in the garage and the weight finally hit me. 725 steel or not .. it’s a fucking lump.
Now maybe I am used to flicking a cheapy aluminium cross frame up with the greatest of ease.. but this was beyond a joke.
Two days later it is now hanging skeletally in the garage, next to the stripped down Surly and roller race training turbo frame.
In only one hour the Lemond was assembled and a quick scoot proved all was ok. 
She is back
A lunchtime ride today reaffirmed our friendship. Smooth and responsive.  Like a favourite pair of trainers.
Shes back..

No comments:

Post a Comment