Friday, 21 June 2013

Newbury Summer CX Rnd4

Thursday evening, long draggy day, muggy weather feeling pants... must be time for racing ;-)

Muggy, Sticky, but at least its dry again. Banjo Cycles seem to be finding their confidence, by setting increasingly testing courses at Goldwell Park. This week was deliciously twists, with the uphill switch backs making a reapearance, and the lower field (ted) hosting a sharp 'S' bend just before the finish.




I have acquired a pair of Fulcrum Race CX 5 and was keen to use them. a lunchtime repair to a nicked sidewall and I shod them with my old Michelin Muds ( MK1). From training on these classics, I was sure that they would corner better than the Challenge's that I have raced on the last two weeks.
 Warming up they felt ok, so I committed and lined up at the start.


The start this week was close to a sweeping left hander. I was quick enough to get the inside line front row, and when the whistle went I was off like a rocket.  My assailable lead lasted until the second corner, as the elite seniors made their way past. , including a cheeky RAF geezer calling a line on the fast downhill section.
I held on in 4 or 5th for quite a while, but Cotswold Veldrijden and a few Banjo Boys were steaming towards me ( Well Banjos were sat on him )
they eventually past me and with a Rides on Air rider nipping at my heels, I did my best to keep on pushing.
Eventually I pushed too hard, and made a mistake , Fluffing a corner on one of the short uphill corners, needing to get off and run over the bump. I cocked up the next corner as well, losing all hope of catching the small group in front.
Taking it easy under the trees in case any dew was forming  I felt that the Muds were drifting a bit and I had to back off in some of the corners.
the twisty lower field took its toll again as the rutted long drags really wore me down, though my triceps didnt ache as much as last week.
Bell lap and I pushed on a bit,  and held on for tenth place.
Pretty chuffed with that as it was a strong field.
went well: Start :-) cant get much better than that.
not so good. Cocking up on corners when tired, poor tyre choice, Flat line strength across rutted ground. 
Average HR 97% of max.. dont think I can go much quicker..

Look at how twisty...





No comments:

Post a Comment