Thursday, 26 September 2013

Turbo Trainer Woes

Ach... I am not that awesome. a few days of shit planning, unable to ride due to School run duties I decided to have a second crack at another sufferfest. This time Fight Club.
So all set up, with a fan, bottle to hand ( see I am learning from last time.)
just after the cool bit with the shopping bike on the tow path and a funny noise starts. Which gets progressivley worse as I get stuck into the first long interval..
I have to stop to check.
My tyre pressue seems a bit low, and I give myself a wee burn when I accidently touched the mini roller.. It seems that heat build up has softened the plastic housing allowing the axle and flywheel disk to warp/move and touch the magnets, also the 'cooling fan arrangement had come incontact with the end of the housing and had done a good job of chafing a thick burr of plastic to clog up the vents, making the heat build up even worse.
Now its not great stripping down your Turbo trainer mid session, but what was I to do?
Once it had cooled enough to handle, I dismantled the shitty thing . Ignoring the oil that was radiating from the bearings, I sanded the tiny fan arrangement to look less furry, and cut out the burrs clogging the vents.
 The magnets were sanded flat and the warped metal 'friction disk' was flattened, stripped, the glazing cleaned off ( deep scores ignored) and reassembled with a  tiny pad to counteract the warp. The whole lot was re built I quickly swapped the bike to my old Roller Race training rig and without so much as a check I jumped back on to catch the last 25 minutes of  Fight club ( it was too late to restart ) a bit of noise, but not as catastrophic as before the rebuild.
Maybe its time for a new Turbo trainer ?

No comments:

Post a Comment