Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Racing Wessex CX Rnd 2 Oxonian CC Oxford

Been waiting a  long time, but finally cross season is here.
Family duties scuppered the Newbury round, but I was itching to go for round 2 Oxford.
Even though my form has been a bit dubious the last few weeks, I just wanted to get stuck in and have a good crack at it. excellent new Darkstar breweries kit to wear as well :-)


Despite the heavy rain for most of the week, the course was very dry. one boggy patch and a few dampish turns.
What a superb course. a decent straight, boggy bit> short sharp bank> a few switch backs in a playing field An awful off camber chain groaning climb. Sweep around a field> followed by an off-camber drop> along a bit to a dismount and a steep run up. 5 meters for another drop, followed by another run up.. Around the field and into some single track. Around the perimeter of a big windy field, back into the woods, right hander, fast drop off  into a corner, then onto the lower field for a few more sweeping corners to start the second lap again. Wow.. I loved it..
 Wessex CX Rnd 2 Oxonian
Getting the holeshot at Newbury had given me confidence in my starts so I sort of edged a bit forward  and looked around me , sizing up machinery and riders.
With my heart pounding, " I will start you within 30 seconds" .... "GO!!"
no fluffed clips as we all hammered off. Someone sort of dabbed a foot on that first steep bank and everything slowed . I managed to get around and with my heart rate already tettering near max, led a small grouop across the field into the woods.
of the whole circuit the woodland section was the only respite as I tracked around the logs or later on backmarkers.
As things stratified, and the localised battles commenced, I was chasing down a ReadingRC and a Beeline rider;  whilst being hunted down by a Team MK rider.
Crispin Doyle eventually lapped me, and I watched incredulously as he simply rode up the steep bank.
I was expecting teh bell, but was greeted by the Chequered flag instead. This left me a bit deflated as I was ready for one final shit or bust finish dead or die in the process. I didnt feel too bad at all, and was kind of twitching for a bit more to be honest.
Stuff I learnt this race:
What went well:

  • My start was not too bad.
  • Run ups were pretty good, as were remounts. ( all the drills undoubtably helped.)

Not so good.

  • Wet cornering on grass is still completely rubbish.
  • At 26 minutes I went through a rough patch. looking back this was the same for the Summer Series.
  • I forgot a protein shake for recovery.
  • Dont lose your free cup of tea voucher.
Other tidbits I learnt


  • Bring safety pins. ( the old ones were rusted and were pulling wee holes in my new jersey)
  • Wear your shorts ready to go. getting changed with my tackle waving around teh cold wet car park, left me cold before even starting. and its not even cold yet. 
  • Sprint a bit before remounting.. overtaking the slower remounting riders.


No comments:

Post a Comment