Thursday, 10 April 2014

Kit review PlanetX X 365

I buy  a lot of stuff from Planet X. While I have never bought a bike, I buy a lot of components and nick nacks. Their stuff is solid,  functional and at a price that suits my limited means. Over the winter I have been daily riding in a garments from their range.
Firstly , their Bib tights. For the money these are spot on , easily in the top five best things I bought last year. I will certainly be buying another pair next autumn.  I bought a size Large and they fit me spot on. The chamois is a bit stiff and flat, but I always 'double bag' and wear shorts underneath, so this hasn't been an issue.
The windstopper material in the lower leg is great, it works and doesnt go tight across the knee, ( an old pair used to do this and cause knee pain) . Its not waterproof and water still splashes down and fills you shoes but for warmth they are good for brisk training.
The leg grippers are good and the length is just right for my 6' 1/2" lankiness. The shoulder straps are comfortable, stay flat and so far after 10 washes or so there are no stitches fraying and the only bobbling is on the arse cheeks. I wouldnt use them on the coldest days, but for training rides on cold damp days I cannot fult them. At the moment no negatives at all.

I have also been wearing the lobster gloves from the same range. Now these are damn fine for fifteen quid. Size large fits me perfectly. Inside they have a soft furry material that is positively delicious to slide your hand enough to be worth while and I like the velcro.( hooks and loops mixed together on each patch..)
into. Not having had lobsters before braking on my track bike was interesting but I soon got used to it. The cuff is long
Sweaty hands can be extracted without pulling the inners out, which is a bonus after my Sealskin's.
Temperature wise, Due to our mild southern winter, I only managed to ride them down to about -1  they were fine, warmth was about equal to my Sealskin's. They are a bit thinner than I thought, so really really cold, I would wear my clumpy, dodgy civvy ski gloves with inners.( if its that cold I don't think it matters)
One slight negative though, I found they were not that waterproof. heavy rain left me with wet hands ( not all ran down my sleeve) but they remained reasonably warm.
I like them.. Would buy again.

Another set of gloves were the softshell Flanders gloves . These arrived in glorious white, intended for autumn scooting to and from work. Again the large fit was spot on for me, finger length was good ( I hate it when gloves seem to press on the end of your finger)Velcro cuff good. Windproof and they do exactly what they are supposed to cool non frosty mornings, or faster lunchtimes ( when the day has warmed up a bit).
They have turned a bit grey but unfortunately I have had a stitching blow out on the right thumb snot wipe and the cuff stitching has split as well. I will repair them and keep using through this spring.. but for £7.00 they represent brilliant value.. I wish I had bought two pairs.

Lastly Planet X windblock gloves. Unfortunately my regular large sizing didn't work out with this one. The fingers are too short and the internal stitching digs into my fingertips.
They are warm enough, and the backs are padded enough to use it off road ( i go tearingthrough gorse often and the backs of my gloves are a protective measure)
I so wanted to like thse gloves, but when I grip the bar and the material pulls tight I rapidly lose feeling in in my fingers.

As a result I haven't worn these much, other than a  few autumn cross sessions down the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment