Friday, 21 November 2014

Crashing... again

This season has been marked by a catalogue of crashes, incidents and general fuck ups..
 Firstly I cracked two ribs and my helmet in September, nearly burst my bellend in another, trashed my wrist a few times, but my most recent crash is worth thinking about..
If you read the last few blog entries you may know that I have been racing and training with two more broken ribs. So on a recent ride I decided to revisit the spot where I went down and piece together what the hell happened.

Picture this.. I am riding a Custom Steel frame, on loan from the shop, to give it some welly and an idea of how new geometry was working. I had been riding pretty well...
My regular Whitely Woods loop , gentle down hill approaching this:


gentle slope, a bit mucky, but fast and smooth..

I am doing 15.2 mph ( I checked on my GPS track after)

getting closer:


SO shift weight back a bit and pop a gentle manual to clear the tiny puddle..
can you see it yet ??

That red circle is a tree root sticking up just above the surface. to the left of it is a submerged step , only a few inches high but enough to seriously smack your front end. that root isn't straight either.. hit it and it will shove your wheel to the left.. invisible and a serious dampner as I found out.
basically I hit it hard, I remember trying to pop the front, to lighten it through the puddle, but smashed something very hard and ended up in the bush to the right.
No buckled wheel, bent shifter, but no apparent damage. Only later I felt a real pain in my achilles where the pedal caught it and my ribs .. i eventually went to A&E to get them checked as I was not sure whether I had cracked a shoulder blade.
It was only washing the bike down after Winchesters race did I notice this:


That is a fucked frame. James had noticed a gouge in in the bars where the stem clamps, but we had both missed this.. 
such an innocuous puddle causing all this hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment